social media classmates...

Collaboration is such a good way to learn as we each ask different questions and want to investigate avenues of our interests. This could be stimulating and add more to our thinking than working from our own perspective as we do most of the time. My title has to do with my research on the creative process through the voices and experiences of women artists and creativity as a catalyst, if so, in resilience after major illness. This blog has developed around my growing interest and fascination with social media that is constantly in the news as it has entered so many aspects of life today. Possible uses of Internet tools for research are being explored.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

December 15, 2010 As the year is coming to a close..

I am thinking back on finding a language in which to communicate...other than words..... and I had to take drawing and learn from there how to make art. Looking at things I wanted to draw and was familiar with and then at those I had no idea about how to represent. Learning a skill was a job, a training the hand as well as the eye to observe what was out there and some how make a copy of it? A likeness was not easy for me, particularly at first, but I began to notice that I liked to adjust things according to my own view. That realization that I could have my own view of things coupled with the emotional, empathic, and expressionistic gestures gave me a world in which to live and be that was my own and quite apart from what is named cognitive learning. Sensing that there was an implicit realm that was fascinating and ever full of wonder within my imagination was a new beginning, a new journey that had started very young and in nature.
Education and socialization and life took off and it was only after college that I knew that I had to get back to that place of knowing and find out who I had become and who I wanted to be in this world. Art school? several art schools... looking for learning and wisdom out there and from many.. only to find that yes, there are tools, yes others use them, teach them, are masterful with them, but I wanted to choose and explore for myself even if it do not come out so gloriously. I wanted to find my own way and gather what I needed along the way. The art making told me things about how I was seeing and experiencing the world that I did not know until after making the pieces in whatever medium was needed to communicate at that time, that moment. There was always more to know as the world and people are everly fascinating and I wanted and still want to open doors and find new pathways..
This brings me to the present moment. New tools on the Internet, on my Apple computer, that are useful for making art, writing about my work, gathering information, working with images, and communicating with friends and others. The possibilities are truly endless. As I am consumed in words and becoming more at ease with speaking my voice in type, I am wanting to get back to images and see what I can do there. The back and forth seems enriching and calls..

No comments:

Post a Comment